Roger Campbell Ministries
THE PREACHER'S PAGE CONTAINS SERMON OUTLINES AND OTHER PASTORAL HELPS AND RESOURCES.
SERMON OUTLINE OF THE WEEK (last updated 5/12/10)
SERVING THE CHIEF SHEPHERD
1 Peter 5:1-4
A. PETER’S ADVICE TO CHURCH LEADERS
1. He takes his place as one of them (“who am also an elder”)
2. He gives his credentials: a witness of Christ’s suffering and a partaker of His glory
B. RIGHT ATTITUDES AND INCENTIVES FOR FEEDING AND LEADING (vv. 2-3)
1. Not because we’re forced into it, but willingly
2. Not to gain money, but with eager desire to serve
3. Not to lord it over people, but to be examples to them
A. PETER LOOKED UPON THE LORD AS HIS CHIEF SHEPHERD
1. David had called the Lord his Shepherd; the one who cares for the sheep (Ps. 23)
2. Jesus spoke of Himself as the Good Shepherd (John 10:11)
a. The one who gave His life for the sheep; what an example for leaders!
b. He was unlike the hireling; didn’t serve for personal gain
3. The writer of Hebrews called Jesus the Great Shepherd (Heb. 13:20)
a. The one who arose from the grave
b. The one who is perfecting His people
4. Peter called the Lord his Chief Shepherd
a. The one who directs all earthly shepherds
b. The one gives direction to all leaders through His Word
c. The one to whom we all must give an account
B. PETER LOOKED FOR THE RETURN OF THE CHIEF SHEPHERD
1. “When the chief Shepherd shall appear”
2. Peter had heard Jesus speak of His return many times
a. He heard Jesus speak of going away and returning (John 14:1-3)
b. He heard Jesus preach about the signs of His return (Matt. 24)
c. At the ascension he heard angels promise Christ’s return (Acts. 1:10-11)
3. Peter’s second epistle would major on the message of Christ’s return
a. He would warn of the scoffers to come, casting doubt on Christ’s return (2 Peter 3:3)
b. He would plead for holy living in light of Christ’s return (2 Peter 3:10-11)
4. Are you ready for Christ’s return?
C. PETER LOOKED FORWARD TO REWARDS GIVEN BY THE CHIEF SHEPHERD
1. Consider Peter’s claim to authority for what he is saying
a. He had been with Jesus and was a witness of His suffering (v. 1)
b. He had been at the transfiguration as a witness of His glory (v. 1)
2. He had witnessed the power of the resurrection
a. The cross had seemed to end everything
b. The resurrection proved Christ would always keep His promises
3. Jesus has promised to return and reward those who serve Him (Rev. 22: 12)
A. DO YOU KNOW THE CHIEF SHEPHERD?
B. ARE YOU SERVING THE CHIEF SHEPHERD?
1. Is doing His will your chief desire?
2. Are you ready for His return to reward your service?
FROM "PREACH FOR A YEAR #6" Six volumes available, each containing 104 sermon outlines. To receive PREACH FOR A YEAR #6 SEND $12.00 TO ROGER CAMPBELL MINISTRIES, P.O. BOX 301004, WATERFORD, MI 48330. See the RESOURCE PAGE for other books and offers. (Shippping and Handling: For orders outside the United States please add one dollar for U.S. orders, three dollars for Canadian and ten dollars for overseas orders.)
A MINISTER'S LAMENT
I used to call in people's homes, to talk with them and pray
The phone bell rang the other day. A tearful voice said, "Please,
The next day proved too late to call. The poor old man was dead.
My youth work here has all but died, though Doctor Brown's is fair;
They stress evangelistic work, which every church should do;
Perhaps we've made a big mistake, as some profess to see.
Roger Campbell Ministries